The MPN Voice medical advisory committee wants to share with our community the following:
- Thrombosis associated with low platelets is an exceedingly rare event in patients receiving the Oxford-AZ COVID vaccine and causal relationship remains unclear.
- There are no confirmed reports of any specific platelet or thrombosis problems in MPN patients relating to the COVID vaccine.
- MPN patients may be more at risk of dying from and complications of the COVID infection than the general population.
- The risk-benefit is hugely in favour of proceeding with the COVID vaccination, first or second dose.
- Patients under 30 will be offered an alternative to the Oxford-AZ vaccine in line with MHRA/JCVI advice.
- The MPN community are keeping up to date with the literature and worldwide colleagues on this matter and will update the advice if/when new information becomes available.